You make plans and have dreams. You want it all to go a certain way. There is a sense of control you want to have over your future. Then things just don’t right. For whatever reasons, your dreams are shattered. It might be due to some bad decisions or choices, or circumstances beyond your control. Perhaps your goals were unrealistic. Maybe your aspirations are proving to not be a good “fit” for you. In some cases, you might feel like you have to start all over again!
As old as I am (69) I have been through disappointments, setbacks, and times when it seemed like it was hopeless, and I was helpless, to do anything about something that happened.
What does a person do when life just doesn’t go right? Here are ten important things to consider:
1. Don’t go it alone. Hopefully, you have a good trusted friend that will walk with you through your ordeal. If you are married that could be your mate, but not necessarily. You might need someone outside of marriage to lean on.
2. Focus on what you have left, not on what you have lost.
3. Put your confidence in God’s ability to provide for your needs.
4. Seek God’s wisdom.
5. Ask yourself if any of what has happened is a result of your own doing. If so, take responsibility for it. Own up to it.
6. Get Christian counseling, if necessary.
7. Don’t cast blame on another person. Even if someone else was responsible for what happened if won’t help by casting blame.
8. Don’t focus on the problem or on what you have lost. Focus on the solution. Ask yourself what do you do next, and move on with your life.
9. Don’t allow yourself to become bitter or to develop a “poor me” victim mindset. This can lead to depression.
10. Just maybe what has happened will move your life into a new direction that you never imagined, which will prove to be better than before.
These are my thoughts to the younger generation. Much of what you might be experiencing, I have been through ten times over. Hopefully, these ten points will help you in dealing with life issues.